ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title
3. Restricted areas
4. Powers in restricted areas
5. Restriction on change of residence
6. Declaration of riot damage area
7. Riot Damage Commissioner
8. Imposition and collection of levy
9. Payment from the Riot Damage Fund
5 of 1959
An Act to Provide Compensation for Losses by Riots and of Matters Incidental Thereto
[15TH JULY 1959]
This Act may be cited as the Riot Damages Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
“Commissioner” means a Riot Damage Commissioner appointed under section 7(1);
“District Commissioner” shall, at any time when a District Commissioner is absent from the administrative headquarters of his District, mean the senior administrative officer present at such headquarters;
“levy” means a levy imposed under section 8;
“restricted area” means any area declared to be a restricted area under section 3;
“riot” includes an unlawful assembly, and “riotously assembled” includes unlawfully assembled;
“riot damage area” means an area so declared under section 6.
(1) Where any riot has occurred and by reason thereof any shop, house or other building has been damaged or destroyed, or any property or article has been damaged or destroyed, or any personal injury has been caused, the District Commissioner of the District in which such riot occurred may define any area in which, in his opinion—
(a) the riot occurred;
(b) the persons reported to have taken part in such riot were residing at the time of such riot,
and may declare such area or areas to be a restricted area for the purposes of this Act.
(2) The District Commissioner shall cause the declaration of a restricted area to be published in such manner as he may think necessary in order to bring it to the notice of all persons who, in his opinion, ought to have notice thereof.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.