ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title
3. Establishment of Council
4. Composition of the Council
5. Council may co-opt advisers
6. Tenure of office of Council members
7. Remuneration of members of the Council
9. Meetings of the Council
10. Committees of the Council
POWERS AND OBJECTS OF THE COUNCIL
12. Powers of the Council
13. Objects and duties
FUNDS OF THE COUNCIL
14. Funds of the Council
15. Road Safety Levy
16. Annual budget
17. Books, accounts, audit and reports
22 of 1978
8 of 1980
16 of 1983
27 of 1990
12 of 1992
An Act to provide for the establishment and incorporation of the National Road Safety Council of Malawi, for the composition of such Council, for its powers and objects; and for matters connected therewith and incidental thereto
[15TH SEPTEMBER 1978]
This Act may be cited as the National Road Safety Council of Malawi Act.
In this Act unless the context otherwise requires—
“Council” means the National Road Safety Council of Malawi established under section 3;
“financial year” means the period commencing on the date of commencement of this Act and ending on the 31st March, 1979, and thereafter the period of twelve months ending on the 31st March each year.
(1) There is hereby established a body to be known as the National Road Safety Council of Malawi (hereinafter referred to as “the Council”) which shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal, with power to alter or change the same from time to time, and shall, under the said name be capable of suing and being sued and, subject to the provisions of this Act, of purchasing or otherwise acquiring, holding or alienating property, real or personal, and of doing all such acts and things as bodies corporate may by law do or perform.
(2) The common seal of the Council shall be authenticated by the signatures of the Chairman, or of the person for the time being performing the functions of Chairman, and of the Secretary of the Council, and any document purporting to be sealed with the said seal and so authenticated shall be admissible in evidence of the particulars stated in that document.
(3) The Council may use a wafer or rubber stamp in lieu of an embossed seal until such time as an embossed seal is procured by the siad Council.
(1) The Council shall consist of—
(a) one member designated as Chairman appointed by the Minister;
(b) one member designated as Vice-Chairman appointed by the Minister;
(c) the Secretary for Health or his representative;
(d) the Secretary for Education and Culture or his representative;
(e) the Road Traffic Commissioner or his representative;
(f) the Inspector General or his representative;
(g) the Secretary for Justice or his representative;
(h) one member representing the Ministry of Works nominated by the Secretary for Works.
(i) the Secretary for Transport and Communications or his representative;
(j) one member representing the Department of Information nominated by the Secretary to the President and Cabinet;
(k) the Chairman of each Regional Committee, established by the Council under section 12 (n);
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.