ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title
3. Establishment of the Authority
4. Constitution and proceedings of Authority
5. Appointment, etc., of staff
6. Legal proceedings
7. Funds of the Authority
8. Functions of the Authority
9. Transfer of assets, etc., of Malawi African Road Transporters Association Ltd.
5 of 1970
8 of 1980
An Act to provide for the establishment of the Malawi Road Transporters Authority; to vest in the Authority certain assets and liabilities; to confer or impose powers and duties on the Authority; and to provide for matters incidental to or connected with the foregoing
[1ST APRIL 1970]
This Act may be cited as the Malawi Road Transporters Authority Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
“approved transporter” means a Malawi African road transport operator, approved by the Authority for the purposes of this Act, and registered in the books of the Authority as an approved transporter;
“Authority” means the Malawi Road Transporters Authority established under section 3.
(1) There is hereby established a body to be known as the Malawi Road Transporters Authority, which shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal, capable of suing and being sued in its corporate name, and, subject to this Act, of purchasing, holding, acquiring and disposing of movable and immovable property and doing all such acts and things as corporate bodies may by law do and perform.
(2) In the exercise of its powers or the performance of its functions under this Act the Authority shall be subject to any special or general directions of the Minister.
(1) The Authority shall consist of the following members who shall be appointed by the Minister for a term of two years and be eligible for reappointment—
(a) a Chairman;
(b) a Deputy Chairman;
(c) two members appointed by the Minister in his discretion;
(d) a representative of the Malawi Development Corporation;
(e) a representative of the Agricultural Development and Marketing Corporation;
(f) a representative of the Ministry; and
(g) two members to represent approved transporters.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.