ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title
3. Commissioner: Law Revision Officer
4. Duties of Commissioner and Law Revision Officer
5. Publication of the Laws of Malawi
6. Periodical revision of Laws of Malawi
7. Laws of Malawi to constitute sole and proper version of laws
8. Contents of Laws of Malawi
9. Power to omit certain laws from the Laws of Malawi
10. Validity of laws not included in the Laws of Malawi
11. Powers in respect of preparation of pages
12. No power to make amendments of substance
13. Construction of reference to repealed, etc., written law
14. Power of Minister to rectify errors by order
15 of 1968
51 of 1971
9 of 1977
20 of 1978
11 of 1989
An Act to provide for revisions of the Laws of Malawi and for matters connected therewith.
[2ND APRIL 1968]
This Act may be cited as the Revision of the Laws Act.
In this Act unless the context otherwise requires—
“Commissioner” means the Law Revision Commissioner appointed by the Minister under section 3 (1);
“in force” in relation to an Act, means enacted and brought into operation, and in relation to subsidiary legislation, means made and brought into operation;
“Law Revision Officer” means the Law Revision Officer designated as such pursuant to section 3 (2);
“Law Revision Order” means an order made by the Minister under section 5;
“revision date” in respect of the first edition of the Laws of Malawi prepared and published under this Act, means, for Acts, the 1st January, 1968, and for subsidiary legislation, the 4th August, 1967, and in respect of subsequent revisions of the Laws of Malawi, means the 1st January in each year, or such other date, in any year, as the Minister may, by order, appoint as a revision date.
(1) The Minister may, from time to time, appoint a Commissioner for the purposes of this Act, who shall be known as the Law Revision Commissioner.
(2) There shall be a Law Revision Officer who shall be a public officer designated as such by the Minister.
(1) It shall be the duty of the Commissioner, in accordance with this Act, to prepare and publish, or cause to be prepared and published, an edition to be known as the Laws of Malawi, containing all the written laws required to be contained therein.
(2) It shall be the duty of the Law Revision Officer from time to time, as directed by the Attorney General, to maintain and revise the Laws of Malawi.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.