ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title
3. Unification of all local government services of local authorities
4. Election to join Local Government Service
5. No election to join Local Government Service after six months
6. Terms and conditions of service upon entry into Local Government Service
7. Calculation of pensions and gratuities on retirement
8. Effect of non-election to join Local Government Service
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT SERVICE COMMISSION
9. Establishment and composition of the Local Government Service Commission
10. Disqualifications from membership of Commission
11. Tenure of office of members of Commission
12. Remuneration and allowances of members of Commission
13. Secretary to the Commission
14. Deputy Secretary to the Commission
FUNCTIONS AND POWERS OF THE COMMISSION
15. Functions and powers of the Commission
FUNDS OF THE COMMISSION
16. Funds of the Commission
17. Annual budget
18. Books, accounts, audit and reports
20. Non-application of Act
37 of 1981
19 of 1995
An Act to provide for the establishment, functions and powers of the Local Government Service Commission, for the unification of the local government services of all local authorities into a Local Government Service, to regulate the appointment and terms and conditions of service of persons joining the Service, and to make provision for matters connected therewith and incidental thereto
[1ST FEBRUARY 1983]
This Act may be cited as the Local Government Service Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
“Commission” means the Local Government Service Commission established under section 9;
“contract officer” means an officer in the employment of a local authority under a written contract containing terms of service individual to such officer;
“employee” means a person employed by a local authority as an industrial class employee or as a temporary employee;
“local government officer” means a public officer employed by the Ministry of Local Government;
“officer” means a person employed by a local authority holding a rank higher than that of an industrial class employee.
(1) On and after the commencement of, and to the extent provided by, this Act, the local government services of all local authorities in Malawi shall be unified into one consolidated service, to be known as the Local Government Service (hereinafter called the "Service").
(2) Subject to the provisions of this Act, every local government officer, officer and employee having elected pursuant to section 4 to join the Service shall be deemed to be an officer in, or employee of, the Service and shall thereafter at all times, and to the extent provided by this Act, be subject to the jurisdiction and control of the Service, and to all appropriate and relevant regulations and rules relating to officers or employees of the Service, as are from time to time made and in force under this Act.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.