ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title
THE NATIONAL YOUTH COUNCIL OF MALAWI
3. Establishment of the Council
4. Composition of the Council
5. Vacation of office of members
6. Filling of vacancies on the Council
7. Co-opted persons
8. Chairman and Vice-Chairman
9. Remuneration of members of the Council
10. Meetings of the Council
11. Non-liability of members of the Council or of committees
FUNCTIONS AND POWERS OF THE COUNCIL
12. Functions of the Council
13. Powers of the Council
14. Committees of the Council
15. Disclosure of interest
MANAGEMENT OF THE COUNCIL
16. Appointment of an Executive Secretary
17. Funds, accounts and audit
18. Remuneration and expenses of members of the Council
19. Investment of surplus sums
20. Borrowing powers
21. Financial year of the Council
REGISTRATION OF YOUTH ORGANIZATIONS
22. Registrar of youth organizations
23. Application for registration
24. Ground for refusing to register a youth organization
25. Cancellation of registration
26. Notification of grounds
27. Appeal to the Minister
28. General Assembly
29. Extraordinary General Assembly
30. Independence of youth organizations
31. Appeals to the Minister
32. Dissolution of youth organization
22 of 1996
An Act to make provision for the promotion, co-ordination and implementation of youth development programmes in Malawi; the establishment of a National Youth Council of Malawi; and further to provide for matters incidental thereto or connected therewith
[19TH JANUARY 1997]
This Act may be cited as the National Youth Council of Malawi Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires—
“Chairman” means the person appointed as Chairman of the Council under section 8;
“Council” means the National Youth Council of Malawi established under section 3;
“Member” means a member of the Council;
“Executive Secretary” means the person appointed Executive Secretary of the Council under section 16.
THE NATIONAL YOUTH COUNCIL OF MALAWI
There is hereby established a body to be known as the National Youth Council of Malawi (in this Act otherwise referred to as the “Council") which shall be—
(a) a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal;
(b) in its corporate name, capable of suing and of being sued;
(c) capable of holding, purchasing and otherwise acquiring and disposing of any property, movable or immovable, for the purposes, or in the course, of carrying out its functions; and
(d) capable of doing and performing all such acts and things as bodies corporate may by law do and perform.
(1) The Council shall consist of—
(a) the following members appointed by the Minister—
(i) seven persons representing registered youth organizations in Malawi
(ii) a representative of the Episcopal Conference of Malawi;
(iii) a representative of the Christian Council of Malawi;
(iv) a representative of the Muslim Association of Malawi;
(v) a representative of Women’s Organizations; and
(vi) three Councillors.
(b) the following ex offlcio members—
(i) the Secretary for Education or his representative;
(ii) the Secretary for Youth, Sports and Culture or his representative;
(iii) the Secretary for Health or his representative;
(iv) the Secretary for Women and Children Affairs and Community Development and Social Welfare or his representative;
(v) the Secretary for Labour and Manpower Development or his representative;
(vi) the Secretary for Local Government and Rural Development or his representative;
(vii) the Secretary for Justice or his representative; and
(viii) the Secretary for Home Affairs or his representative.
(2) A representative of an ex officio member referred to in subsection (1) (b) shall be designated by, or on behalf of, the ex officio by a notice in writing to the Council to attend the meetings of the Council, and upon such designation such representative shall not attend to the business of the Council by representation.
(3) A member of the Council appointed under subsection (1) (a) shall hold office for a period of two years unless his appointment is terminated sooner than the expiry of that period and shall be eligible for re-appointment.
(4) A member of the Council appointed under subsection (1) (a) may resign his office upon giving one month’s written notice to the Minister.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.